Real Time Information
RTD now provides real time data to app developers, allowing apps to display real time vehicle location updates and arrival predictions based on live GPS locations. Apps enabled with real time information allow you to know where your bus is and when it will arrive at your stop.
Apps enabled with real time information are marked below
- Real time arrival predictions are provided on local, regional, SkyRide and Flatiron Flyer bus routes.
- Real time vehicle location data is provided on all regular fixed-route bus routes. Live train location data will come in a future update.
- Real time arrival predictions begin 30 minutes prior to a vehicle’s scheduled departure from its origin stop.
- Real time vehicle locations are updated every 5 seconds, but the data may be older by the time it reaches your app.
- Every app handles real time information differently, some apps only display arrival predictions, some only display vehicle locations, and some display both.
Next Ride Real Time Web Application
RTD is proud to announce our latest arrival - and right on time - the new Next Ride app. This new web app now features real-time vehicle locations and better arrival predictions. Next Ride is available on the home page of rtd-denver.com and incorporates real-time data to provide accurate and timely predictions for bus and vehicle locations for light rail, making it easier for passengers to plan trips and make connections.
Next Ride is available on the RTD website and does not require a separate download from a third-party applications provider (like the App Store or Google Play). It is also optimized for mobile devices, allowing riders to access it on the go from a smart phone or tablet.
Predictions are based on the real-time position of vehicles combined with the speed to estimate arrival times. Predictions will be available 30 minutes before the start of a trip and the system will provide updates at least every 30 seconds. Locations and predictions are available for buses while vehicle locations only are available for light rail at this time with prediction capabilities planned for the future. Services are not yet available for commuter rail which includes the University of Colorado A Line and the B Line.