March 2016: Sam Luna
This month, RTD recognizes route JUMP driver, Sam Luna, who was nominated by passenger Ruth Feiertag for his excellent service and superb driving skills. Sam drives the JUMP from 14th & Walnut (in Boulder) to the Lafayette Park-n-Ride.
Ruth Freiertag wrote:
“I very much would like to commend Sam the driver, first for his every day courtesy and safe driving, and second for going out of his way for me today. I told him how inconvenient the omission of the Galahad branch of the JUMP route has become for me since developing health issues over the past few years. The walk from the Park-n-Ride to home, once a simple matter, is especially difficult for me to negotiate when there is ice and snow. Sam called into RTD’s dispatch and got permission to drop me at my usual stop. I feel ridiculous not being able to traverse the relatively short distance from the Park-n-Ride to my home. His kindness saved me time, stress, and the additional pain the walk home would have entailed. I am genuinely grateful both to Sam and to RTD for allowing him to bring me to the stop closest to my house. Thank you to Sam and everyone at RTD.”
After receiving Ruth's commendation, we wanted to know more about Sam and he graciously agreed to answer a few of our questions.
- How long have you worked for RTD and have you always been a bus driver?
- Since August of 2008
- What do you like best about your job?
- I really like the customers.
- If you could listen to music while working, what type?
- If you could deck out your bus, what style?
- Broncos style
- If you could change your uniform color, what color or does brown/gray go with your eyes?
- The colors we have now are fine.
- What type of service would you drive if given the choice and/or favorite service to drive or operate?
- I really don’t have a favorite service.
- What are your favorite hobbies or activities?
- I like working on projects in my garage, and playing music on my accordion.