October 2016: Donald "DW" Washington
This month, RTD recognizes bus driver, Donald “DW” Washington, who drives various routes and has received numerous compliments and commendations. The commendations featured are from passengers Mari Foster, Brian Prieto, and Marcella Saxton for his exceptional customer service.
Mari Foster wrote:
“The bus driver greeted each passenger, including myself, with a genuine greeting, giving appropriate compliments, general positive comments, and gave everyone a friendly departing message. Every single person on the bus was smiling because of his clear enjoyment of his work and his appreciation for each of us who boarded the bus. I hope this comment reaches him as I have NEVER had a more enjoyable bus ride (and I’m a daily rider) and he really brightened my ride home.”
Brian Prieto wrote:
“Donald Washington has to be one of the friendliest, most motivated, upbeat and entertaining individuals I’ve ever come across in life. His awesome attitude kept the normally boring ride to downtown a real joy. You could see it in the smiles he put on the faces of little kids. The greetings in the many different languages he’s acquainted himself with are still in my memory nearly a month after this experience. What an awesome and personable individual you all are lucky to have working with you!”
Marcella Saxton wrote:
“I would like to commend Donald for being an excellent service to RTD. I ride route 20 and have seen many different bus drivers. Donald particularly stood out to me last night with his spirit and enthusiasm for his job. He was very personable and friendly. He arrived at my stop on time, took precautions to slow down or stop longer to make sure he was on schedule, and made the ride feel comfortable and safe. He clearly takes his job to heart and it was refreshing to see.”
After receiving several commendations, we wanted to know more about DW and he graciously agreed to answer a few of our questions.
- How long have you worked for RTD?
- I started driving RTD buses on August 21, 2013 but I drove buses for 12 ½ years in Los Angeles.
- What were you in a previous life?
- A hamburger helper, singer, poet, and teddy bear!
- What do you like best about driving?
- I really enjoy working with the public, meeting new people and driving the bus.
- If you could listen to music while working, what type?
- Love songs, R&B – Motown years, REAL old school music
- If you could deck out your bus, what style?
- The bus would be black on black with tinted windows and gold trim; and still be a happy bus.
- If you could change your uniform color, what color or does brown/gray go with your eyes?
- Black and gold are my colors.
- What type of service would you drive if given the choice and/or favorite service to drive or operate?
- Luxury RTD charter buses with cable and movies for long all day trips.
- What are your favorite hobbies or activities?
- Singing, photography, poetry, writing song lyrics, music and movies, love some old style martial arts, reading, hanging with fun and sweet women, and talking too. Table tennis, air hockey, volleyball, and lots of outdoor fun things like biking.